Wobblers, plugs and other terms

Wobblers, plugs and other termsThe domestic fishing lexicon inevitably incorporated many foreign, and primarily English, words and names. This circumstance often serves as a source of confusion and all kinds of misunderstandings and makes reading fishing literature difficult. Here is an example of a couple of statements from the pages of a very respectable and fat national magazine:
“Minnow. This family of lures is also called stick (stick) or simply wobbler (wobbler). ” “On packages with wobblers from different companies … you can often see the inscriptions“ Shad ”or“ Minnow ”(wobblers like“ Shad ”are sometimes called“ Plug ”or“ Crank ”). Externally, these lures are somewhat reminiscent of a tadpole, the front part of them, equipped with a blade, is much wider, and sometimes thicker than the tail. ”

After reading this, a person who wants to understand what a “minnow”, “shad”, “krenk” or “plug” will be in great difficulty. Because, for example, a “minnow” is something completely different than a “stick”, tadpoles of this type do not resemble tadpoles at all, and not only shades, but also many other lures are called plug-ins. Let’s try to bring some clarity to the terminology regarding wobblers.

We have wobblers – they have plugs

When asked what a wobbler is, most Russian spinning players will answer without any hesitation or doubt. Wobblers are voluminous, most often wooden or plastic baits of various shapes and sizes, designed for catching or throwing. But English-speaking fishermen will have a different answer. First, wobblers in England, the USA and Canada are called thin metal swinging baubles. Especially often this name is used by fishermen in relation to small and medium spoons used for catching lake trout. It is found in trade designations. A lot of “wobblers” are available in the range of lures of the famous Ackme Tackle Company (Flash-King Wobbler, K.O. Wobbler) or, for example, Lucky Strike (Beaded back Wobbler).

The second meaning of the word “wobbler” in the English-speaking fishing vocabulary is closer to ours, but narrower. Wobblers there are also sometimes called solid volumetric baits, but not all, but only with their own intense game. This usage is explained by the original meaning of the English word wobbler. It comes from the verb to wobble-swing from side to side; wobble; to move unstable, shifting from side to side; shake, tremble. Therefore, the bait, which do not commit on the wiring or when immersing this type of movement, the British and Americans will not be called wobblers. We have a mine, for example, undoubtedly, a wobbler, and for the Americans these baits with a weakly expressed own game do not belong to wobblers at all.

READ  Fishing in Karelia

Thus, their wobbler and our wobbler are not exactly the same thing. The most accurate equivalent of our “wobbler” in English fishing slang is the word “plug”. Literally, it translates as “cork”, “gag”, and I must say that this name was quite suitable for the first wooden baits, which began to be produced in the USA from the middle of the 19th century. They were machined on a lathe and really had some conditional resemblance to a cork. One way or another, but this name quickly took root, and, for example, in the Webster Dictionary (Webster Dictionary) among the various meanings of the word plug is given and this: artificial fishing lure with one or more hanging hooks. In other words, what we call wobblers, the English call plugins.

Classification Attempt

What kind of wobblers exist, or — how do you like more — plug-ins? Most often, wobblers are distinguished by buoyancy (floating, sinking and suspenders), the working horizon (deepening), or by the shape of the body – for example, mines, shades or fets. The disadvantage of such classifications is that as a result, very different lures inevitably fall into the same category. A more productive approach, in my opinion, is the division of all wobblers into two large groups according to the presence or absence of the front blade. Wobblers with a blade are further divided by the shape of the body, and bezelless – into surface and working in the water column (see diagram).

Wobblers with a blade

Minnow. These are elongated baits, reminiscent in shape of a fry of cyprinid fish, of the same roach, for example. Most are intended for fishing in the upper water horizon, but there are also deeper ones. An effective method of fishing is twitching.

READ  Wobblers for fishing in the upper layers of water

Shades. Shad means herring. Shades are reminiscent of herring in their form. Their body is higher than mine, and flattened laterally.

Feti. It is simply “fat” (fat – fat, fat, fat). The body of the phets is not as elongated as that of the mines and shads, and the sides are not flattened, but rather rounded.

Cranky. Sometimes in American literature, crankbaits are all lobed wobblers that have their own active game and work well on uniform wiring. Crankbates include shads and phets, but not minnows. However, more often the name “Crank” is used for wobblers of an intermediate form between phets and shads.

Wobblers without a blade

Waterborne baits
Vibs and rattlins. All vibes and rattlins are sinking baits designed for fishing in the water column or at the bottom. The fishing ring is located on their back, and the front upper edge of the bait plays the same role as the blade of ordinary wobblers. A characteristic feature of rattlins is the presence of a “rattling” camera with balls. Due to their high-frequency intense play in the transverse direction, these baits use balls especially effectively.

Darter Mostly marine heavy long and narrow woblers with low-frequency play. The shape of the body is close to mine. The front end of the darter is beveled and acts as a small blade. Sometimes the name “darter” is also found in other types of lures. For example, Salmo Chubby Darter is a hybrid of a wobbler and balancer for fishing from a boat or in winter from ice. Or Creek Chub Darter – the surface bait closest to poppers.

Jerkbaits. “Jerk” means jerk. These massive lures work precisely with jerking. There are jerkbaits-gliders (they jerk in the horizontal plane) and jerkbaits-divers (when jerking with a spinning rod they go deep). In addition to these two types, there are numerous “hybrid” options, as well as “soft Jerky” made of silicone.

READ  Tactics and techniques of fishing for zerglitsa. Part 2

Surface Lures
Sticks (walkers, jumpers, flashers). Stickbait means “bait-stick”, which reflects in general terms the shape of this type of wobblers. Sticks have no game of their own, and success almost entirely depends on the correct wiring. It consists in short jerks with a rod, as a result of which the stick makes prowl in the water from side to side of movement.

Proppers. Simply put, a propbait or propper is a stick-beit equipped with one or two – in front and behind – metal propellers. Basic wiring is jerky. Propellers create an additional noise effect.

Poppers. These are baits in which there is a rounded recess on the front end of the body. Thanks to him, the popper is able, with proper wiring, to make characteristic smacking sounds that “collect” predators (primarily perch and pike) from a considerable distance.

Chaggers. Lures close in form and principle of action to poppers. They differ from the latter in the form of a notch at the front end of the body, in the nature of movements and sounds made. When snatching, they dive deeper and go a greater distance under water.

Crawlers. According to the principle of operation, these wobblers also resemble a popper, but have a more massive body, and instead of a recess at the front end, they have a wide concave, transversely arranged metal blade.

The variety of wobblers is huge, and, of course, among them there are “transitional” forms that are difficult to attribute to any particular category. Nevertheless, the proposed classification, it seems to me, makes it easier to navigate in this sea of ​​lures and to easily understand what is at stake, be it an article in a magazine or a description in a company directory.