Good afternoon. I am not a great fisherman spinning. My largest catch is 10 kg of pike and perch. However, if you were lucky enough to catch a catfish over 20 kg, it is unlikely that you will put him on a cook – the boat will not be driven by you, but by the catfish. Therefore, I present to you my cook, lightweight, durable and compact, which easily fits in your pocket, designed for 15-20kg of fish. I took Alexander Obukhov's kukan as a basis in the article dated December 12, 2014, “Reliable and budget kukan with my own hands”, for which I am grateful to him. I advise you first to familiarize yourself with its design, because I kept the general position numbers and described only the differences.
The composition of the cook.
1. The main cable
2. Aluminum clip
3. Carabiner for mounting a cook
4. Carabiner for loops
5. Cable thimble
8. Bicycle nipple for knitting needles
9. Heat shrinkable tube with glue
1. The main cable pos. 1 and loops pos. 7 are made of a steel cable with a polymer coating with a diameter of 2.0 mm. If you turn to the Internet with the request "steel cable breaking load", you will see that the cable with a diameter of 2.0 mm has a breaking load of 2350 kg, according to DIN 3055 (European equivalent of Soviet GOST). But in a cable with a polymer coating, a diameter of 2.0 mm is given for the external polymer coating, and inside it a steel cable with a diameter of 1.0 mm. If we recalculate the breaking load on a diameter of 1.0 mm, we get 587 kg. To assess these concepts and numbers, I will say that each braided cord that we use is characterized by an external diameter in mm. and breaking load in kg.
2. Aluminum clip 2mm pos.2. Its use has its own characteristics, as it is designed for a conventional steel cable, and in the case of a metal-polymer cable, two options are possible.
The first – when crimping, we squeezed the clamp, the polymer between the cable and the clamp squeezed out, and the clamp "sat" on the metal of the cable. The connection is solid, but the cable will rust.
The second – when crimping the clamp, we did not destroy the polymer layer. The connection will not be strong enough and the steel cable under heavy load may stretch out of the polymer sheath at the clamping point.
In the photo on the Internet you can see how fishermen from this situation pressure test the connection with two, three clamps, use long metal tubes as clamps, leave the tip of the cable 2-3 cm after clamping and wrap it with a main cable with a braided cord, then coat the winding and the end of the cable with waterproof glue.
I propose my own version, which I describe in paragraph 8.
I crimp the clamp on the planes in a small vise with smooth lips. Then along the clamp I lay the shank of the drill 2.0 mm and hit with a hammer on both sides of the clamp, increasing the compression zone of the cable.
5. Thimble for cable 2mm pos.5 stainless steel. Thimbles are used to protect steel cables in the most loaded places of loops, in our case, to protect the polymer coating of the cable in places of attachment of the cook.
8. Bicycle nipple for knitting needles pos.8. Almost all cooks use spacers from soft cambric to aluminum as spacers between the swivels of pos.6. I suggest fixing the swivel on a cable between two crimped bushings. As bushings I use a bicycle nipple for knitting needles. He fastens and pulls a spoke to the rim of each bicycle wheel and is sold at any bicycle parts store. Nipples are brass, chrome and aluminum in different colors, 12 or 14 mm long. I chose 14mm green aluminum to match the color of the cable. The nipple has a through hole with an M2 thread, I drilled it with a 2.0 mm drill and crimped it on a cable along 4 faces of the nipple with special pliers for crimping electrical wires. You can also use pliers. After crimping the nipple, I tried to rip it off the cable with all my strength. I did not succeed. In addition, I significantly strengthen the pressurized joints with a heat-shrinkable tube with glue.
9. Heat shrinkable tube with glue pos.9. Heat-shrinkable tube is widely used by electricians for electrical insulation for electrical insulation and protection against mechanical damage to bare wires when the tube is heated to 120 degrees Celsius with an ordinary lighter, it shrinks in diameter twice, but not in length, and tightens the bare wires. Glue tubes are designed to seal the joint at the same time. Hot-melt adhesive is transparent and applied in a thin layer on the inner surface of the tube. I picked up a heat shrinkable tube with glue, black HTS-D-4.8 4.8 / 1.6. It shrinks in diameter three times at a temperature of 125 degrees Celsius. The numbers 4.8 and 1.6 are the inner diameter of the tube before shrinkage and after heating, respectively. At the ends of the cook and loops, item 7, after clamping, I leave the end of the cable 20 mm long, push the length of the pipe 30 mm long onto the joint until the clamp, and rotating the joint in the lighter flame, I seat the tube. The tube compresses the connection, glue fills all the gaps. For the nipples in pos. 8, I used a 22 mm long tube. The result is a surprisingly strong connection, the adhesive after cooling is not fragile but elastic, its slight excess can be seen on the ends of the tubes in photos 2, 3 and the ends of the cable are not exposed corrosion.
1. Metal-polymer color cable 2.0mm, 10m, green Tech-Krep (there are also red and blue colors) – 57 rubles.
2. Cable clip 2mm DIN 3093 aluminum – 2rub. (12 pcs.)
3. Carabiner 4mm DIN 6899 stainless A4 steel – 47rub. (1 pc.)
4. Carabiner 3mm DIN 5299C stainless A4 steel – 44 rubles. (5 pcs.)
5. Thimble 2mm DIN 6899 stainless A4 steel – 8 rubles. (2 pcs.)
Pos. 2, 3, 4, 5 kuvalda.ru
6. Swivel 100kg – 45rub. (Set of 5 pcs.)
8. Nipple for knitting needles PT734, green, 14mm (there is also gold, blue, red, black) – 8 rubles (10 pcs.)
9. Heat shrinkable tube with glue, black HTS-D-4.8, 4.8 / 1.6 – 45rub / m.
Prices are as of March 2020. in Moscow. All components were received at own expense.
I hope Admin does not find links to these sites as advertising, because this will allow anglers to buy poses 2, 3, 4, 5 in one place, rather than running around the construction markets and buying at exorbitant prices, or I found pos. 9 from only one seller.
Pressure testing of clamps and nipples and heat shrinkage of the tube so as not to accidentally melt the polymer coating of the cable, I recommend that you try separately to fill your hand. I draw attention to the assembly procedure – first put the tube on the cable, then the nipple, swivel, again the nipple, tube, etc.
And, in conclusion, I did not just call the kukan universal – it has a development. I just didn’t have time to realize it, I’m sitting at home in connection with the coronavirus, I am a pensioner. There will be interest, I will post in the next note.