SEARCH FOR “FISH SHOPS”
Slides that have fish can be easily detected by clusters of gulls – these birds and fish have one food supply. Observation of them made it possible to identify four standard behavioral stereotypes that almost mirror the behavior of fish under water, facilitate the search and selection of simulations:
1. The seagull takes aim for a while, and then “stake” ie head forward and folding its wings, it falls into the water, often diving whole. This suggests that she hunts for large fry, capable of active flight. From below, the fish does the same, which means that you need to put large streamers and tanks.
2. A seagull falls into the water with a tight, ducky, rather crouches slightly, and then makes a biting movement. Back-to-beak, back-to-beak, that means that young fingerlings have gone, and the sizes of the streamer-ephemera mimicking it should be minimal. Seagulls sometimes overeat with this "noodle" to such an extent that, being no longer able to take off, they simply swim in the water, continuing to poke it with its beak.
3. Seagulls, dispersed, soar above the Ob at a height of 1-1.5 meters and strike the water with their beaks – collect insects. When the seagull falls not with a stake, not with a stick, but strikes, the search becomes more complicated. The predator leaves the rifts, contrasting places empty. Although at this time it is real to see the huge white pillars of these birds. But such "nuclear mushrooms" often grow no longer at rifts, but in the arches behind powerful coastal chippers, where many branches, sticks, foliage and insects twist. Here they are caught on all kinds of imitations.
4. The “pillar” of falling gulls smoothly moves downward with the speed of the current – it is they hammering either a backwater (a fish beaten by a hydroelectric dam) or bread crust and are of no interest to the fly fishing.
Seagulls are indispensable helpers, but not always, but only in every second case. The feed base, of course, is present, but the fish may not be due to too shallow depths, thickets of mud, improper bottom topography, etc.
Fly fishing is a short fight tackle: with a one-handed fishing rod up to 20-25 m. The initial task was to adapt this tackle to the conditions of a wide, flat river, to find a full-fledged niche for its use. When fishing from the shore and in the wade, fly fishing immediately showed itself from the best side. Moreover, when fishing in the wade, an interesting way worked out. If you put a fly on a coastal pebble from the side of the river, and then pull it into the water, then here, on the micro-bumps, the largest dace trees came across. Approaching from the shore to the edge of the water, we just scare them.
But the Ob is not only a coastal strip. In the need for a boat, when fishing with spinning rods, I became convinced back in 1984, in my fourth year of hobby for this tackle. This is despite the fact that casting for 100 meters was already mastered. But in fact, neither 20, nor 100 meters, nor fishing in a wade, will replace the boat. Without it, many secrets and laws of Ob life would have remained with seven seals. During the search, a motor boat allows you to cover those distances for the period that corresponds to the scale of the river, which makes fishing harmonious.
Inside the boat, along the side, 4 fully equipped spinning rods were approved:
1. Serves for searching unfamiliar areas and for fishing in places with a large number of hooks. Usually at the bottom is a sinker of 10-40 grams. or a jig-head, and above (40 cm) – an additional streamer on a short (5-7 cm) leash.
2. Special tackle for catching perch, but with three additional flies, as perch is very convenient to catch several pieces per cast. It means a clean or well-known bottom.
3. Top fishing tackle with a bakula. Predatory Ob fish very often eats at the surface.
4. Ultralight. Head weight 1.5-4 gr., Additional front sight – no more than 1 pc. It is used at “perch depths”, in shallow waters from 0.7 to 1.2 (1.5) meters with a rocky or cluttered bottom (logs of timber), i.e. Often. It is these conditions that most suit the Ob fry and predator away from the coast. The boat is put directly to the fish "on the head", on a long anchor rope. Then turn the steering wheel to the side and the boat leaves from this point to cast distance. When fishing on light heads, the problem is not to raise them above the hooks, but to dig them into the “fish” horizon, where bites take place. If you overdo it and the hook happens, the steering wheel is put straight, the boat returns to its original position, i.e. to the place of the hook, the bait is easily released directly from under the side. Then the steering wheel back to the side, etc. Ultralight tackle, in this case, is used not for the love of fine art, but in order to combat hooks.
So, fly fishing adequately replaces the third (bakery) tackle and more than worthy – the fourth – boat ultralight. There are no problems either with the wiring horizon or with the range – everything perfectly matches the fly fishing capabilities. There are even fewer problems with hooks, and the quality of fishing, by the strength of the emotional impact, is traditionally very high.
As for the wiring horizon, in most cases, it is enough to vary the weight of the fly, the thickness of the leash and the angle of casting. Sinking undergrowths are optional.
As for the fishing distance, then 25 meters, when fishing from a boat, this is the search range. After the fish is found and the bite zone is determined, the boat must be brought to it at a minimum distance. Simple arithmetic works here: if there are 10 meters to fish, one catch, and if 20, then two times less, plus more gatherings. With prolonged survival during the course, the fish breaks its lips and “offensively” flies off the hook at the very side.
To be continued…
Good luck to everyone fishing!
Start here: "In the beginning there was a fly," "Search for a promising fishing spot."
The article was finalized on May 2, 2020.
Sincerely, Sergey Shatalov.