Carp – close relatives that are often found in the same pond, have similar lifestyle and are very similar in appearance. He and the other are one of the most popular places for fishing for recreational fishermen, as their meat has an excellent flavor, and the resistance exerted by the large specimens in the fish, make the process of catching a gambler.
However, for the angler who wants to catch one of these representatives, it is important to know the differences between them and understand the nuances of behavior that are unique to the carp or carp.
- General information
- The carp species
- The types of carp
- The appearance and structure of the different carp from carp
- Differences in behavior
- Differences in habitat
- Summing up: how to distinguish carp from carp
- Useful video
Carp is a domesticated form of carp, so we can say that we are talking about the same species of fish family Cyprinidae – Cyprinus carpio.
Grow carp and carp up to quite impressive for freshwater fish sizes – there are individuals weighing about 30 kg, but most of the population is represented by smaller specimens up to 8-10 lbs. they reach the sexual Maturity by about 4 years, males earlier than females.
Both are primarily benthic lifestyle and have similar dietsdominated by plant foods, but there are also insect larvae and small crustaceans, so the principles of their area also largely similar. And carp, and carp have a great sense of smell , so when searching for food focus mainly on him.
On the upper lip these fish include pair of small moustache, playing the role of the taste buds. The most active carp and common carp in warmer seasons, in winter they almost do not eat, staying in wintering pits and not moving around the pond.
The carp species
Selective screeningof all human-produced, the goal was to withdraw from the carp a breed of fish that it was more convenient to breed on an industrial scale. Thus was born the carp.
There are the following kinds of carp:
- Common. The species of carp most often confused with carp as they are appearance a lot in common – all of the body’s ordinary (also called scaly) carp covered with scales, the color of which depends on the characteristics of the pond in which he lives – from Golden to light brown.
- Mirror. This species is easily distinguished from carp by the absence of scales on most parts of the body – it is located just back of the gills and tail fin and along the middle line of the body. Mirror carp are found less frequently than ordinary, he also usually smaller.
- Naked. On the body of this species of carp scales even smaller than the mirror, which prevents entanglement with the carp. Rarer than the mirror carp, also is considered the least adapted species to living in environmental conditions close to natural.
The types of carp
Carp, and common carp, has the body completely covered with scales, the color of which depends on the characteristics of the environment. Scales has more light color on the belly, and much darker on the back, and with age, the contrast difference increases.
Depending on the spawning grounds the following types of carp:
- Residential. Lives in rivers or seas at places of confluence of rivers in them where the water is not very salty. It spawns in the same place where dwells.
- Semi-anadromous. This species of carp is characterized in that during spawning it migrates from the seas to the river.
The appearance and structure of the different carp from carp
However, upon closer examination, you notice that the carp has a more elongated body, due to its habitat – it prefers lakes over rivers, where in search of food necessary to overcome the resistance. While growing in length it is much longer than the carp, which upon reaching a certain length starts to “fat”, increasing in width. At the same mass, the ancestor of the carp will have a greater length. Each scale carp has a dark edge, while the carp it has a uniform colour.
Attention! From carp larger in comparison with the body’s head. An experienced fisherman will not be able to distinguish it from the carp according to the body shape.
Another feature of the appearance of the carp – the presence of a tubercle at the base of the head, then, like his ancestor, this tubercle is absent.
Differences in behavior
Carp, as the wild form of its kind, dwells in the natural environmentthat affects his behavior.
He is much more cautious than carp, as the latter often has no natural enemies in the waters, while the first is forced for the first year of life to hide from predatory fish.
Accordingly, when fishing you need to more carefully observe the silence and masking rules.
A few different food preferences of common carp and carp – wild ancestor in the spring, often regales the caviar of other fish, and sometimes, with poor forage base in the reservoir even eat fry of other fishes, while its domesticated cousin prefers vegetable food that are associated with artificial feeding in ponds at its cultivation. In the process of breeding carp have received such distinctive features as high fecundity, whereas carp during spawning lays less eggs, while remaining much more demanding in terms of spawning.
Help! Carp feeds primarily at night, going to the coastal areas in the dark, and the day preferring to hide in the depths.
Differences in habitat
Different habitat carp and carp , and crucian carp, is much less demanding to the amount of oxygen in the water for the normal life he enough 4 mg/l of water, which allows him to live well and grow even in small ponds with stagnant water. But carp is much more sensitive to a certain quantity of oxygen it requires at least 7 mg/l of water, which is why he prefers natural watercourses, rivers.
Carp more thermophilic than common carp and are more widespread in the southern regions. Optimal for its activity the water temperature is 25 degrees, while toward the South the concentration of either species of carp in relation to carp in the same pond increases. Domesticated descendant can live and reproduce at lower temperatures.
Summing up: how to distinguish carp from carp
In order to distinguish data of fish, you need to pay attention to the following:
- Form of the body. The longer the torso from the carp and wide and thick with carp.
- Head. With carp it is smaller than its wild ancestor, also at its base there is a tubercle.
- Scales. Each scale carp has a dark border, whereas in his home of a relative it is homogeneous colors.
- Habitat. Carp will live only in running water, so you should not look for in small ponds with stagnant water, the more blooming during the summer time, as microscopic algae significantly reduce the concentration of oxygen in the water.
Fishing for carp or carp does not differ – so the diet and behavior of these fish is largely similar, however, the first shows great accuracy when feeding, the stronger he gets scared of loud noises, so fishing you need to be very quiet. We should not ignore visual camouflage – camouflage clothing and careful behavior on the shore will significantly increase the chances for a strike.
Unlike carp from carp in the video below.